Skip to content

Water Usage Processing

Water Processing

Water Processing


Lessors/landlords are allowed to pass on the full water consumption charges (including bulk water charges) to tenants provided all the minimum criteria have been met.

Minimum Criteria

  • The rental premises are individually metered (or water is delivered by vehicle)
  • The rental premises are water efficient
  • The tenancy agreement states that the tenant must pay for water consumption

Items a tenant can be charged for

  • State bulk water charge
  • Water usage charge

What are water efficient rental premises?

  • Internal cold water taps and single mixer taps (excluding bathtub taps and taps for appliances) with a maximum flow rate of nine litres per minute. The requirement for taps applies only to internal cold water taps that are installed over a hand basin,kitchen sink or laundry trough (including single mixer taps). The requirement does not apply to other taps in the premises such as bath tub taps, outside taps for the garden, or taps which supply washing machines or dishwashers. These taps are not required to be water efficient.
  • Showerheads with a maximum flow rate of nine litres per minute
  • Dual flush toilets not exceeding 6.5 litres on full flush and 3.5 litres on half flush

Water Invoicing and Collection

(Only for properties that have a Plumber issued water compliance certificate)


  1. Lessors/landlords forward water bills to our agency within one week of receipt.
  2. The lessors/landlords pay the water bill as the account is in their name.
  3. The tenant is then invoiced to reimburse the lessors/landlords in accordance with the terms of the tenancy agreement.
  4. Standard term 17 (5) of the General Tenancy Agreement (Form 18a) allows the tenant up to one month to pay the water account after receiving the water invoice. 

Non Payment by Tenant

The following courses of action may be taken:

  • Tenant to be breached as per standard term 17 (5) of the agreement by failing to pay within one month as required and/or
  • Outstanding amount handed to debt collection service

Other courses of action available:

  • A RTA Form 16 dispute resolution form to be lodged with the RTA 
  • If the dispute resolution is unsuccessful and a notice of unresolved dispute is issued lodge a non-urgent QCAT application to enforce the payment.




If you’d like to take a ‘deep dive’ to see where your IP sits in the current market, or a confidential discussion about any issue you are having with your rental property then please reach out.


(07) 3135 9080

Contact Us

(07) 3135 9080

P O Box 1020
Indooroopilly Centre Qld 4068

Suite 6 | 21 Station Road
Indooroopilly Qld 4068

By Appointment Only
Please note the office is not always attended.
We may be out conducting business or attending to an emergency.
Please call ahead to make an appointment or use the Contact Form

Invalid Email
Invalid Number
Please check the captcha to verify you are not a robot.
Scroll To Top