Water Usage Processing
Lessors/landlords are allowed to pass on the full water consumption charges (including bulk water charges) to tenants provided all the minimum criteria have been met.
- The rental premises are individually metered (or water is delivered by vehicle)
- The rental premises are water efficient
- The tenancy agreement states that the tenant must pay for water consumption
Items a tenant can be charged for
- State bulk water charge
- Water usage charge
What are water efficient rental premises?
- Internal cold water taps and single mixer taps (excluding bathtub taps and taps for appliances) with a maximum flow rate of nine litres per minute. The requirement for taps applies only to internal cold water taps that are installed over a hand basin,kitchen sink or laundry trough (including single mixer taps). The requirement does not apply to other taps in the premises such as bath tub taps, outside taps for the garden, or taps which supply washing machines or dishwashers. These taps are not required to be water efficient.
- Showerheads with a maximum flow rate of nine litres per minute
- Dual flush toilets not exceeding 6.5 litres on full flush and 3.5 litres on half flush
Water Invoicing and Collection
(Only for properties that have a Plumber issued water compliance certificate)
- Lessors/landlords forward water bills to our agency within one week of receipt.
- The lessors/landlords pay the water bill as the account is in their name.
- The tenant is then invoiced to reimburse the lessors/landlords in accordance with the terms of the tenancy agreement.
- Standard term 17 (5) of the General Tenancy Agreement (Form 18a) allows the tenant up to one month to pay the water account after receiving the water invoice.
Non Payment by Tenant
The following courses of action may be taken:
- Tenant to be breached as per standard term 17 (5) of the agreement by failing to pay within one month as required and/or
- Outstanding amount handed to debt collection service
Other courses of action available:
- A RTA Form 16 dispute resolution form to be lodged with the RTA
- If the dispute resolution is unsuccessful and a notice of unresolved dispute is issued lodge a non-urgent QCAT application to enforce the payment.
If you’d like to take a ‘deep dive’ to see where your IP sits in the current market, or a confidential discussion about any issue you are having with your rental property then please reach out.
CALL US NOW
(07) 3135 9080